Thursday 23 July 2009

Books

Paris again this week. It is very hot and quite empty and in the evenings walking across the city you feel like you are in an early 1970s psychological spy thriller ( or maybe that's just me especially when I reach the fun fair in the Jardin des Tuileries !! ). I met up with Larry Klein the producer and musician for a very refreshing chat and cup of tea. We also browsed around the Galignani bookshop where he kindly bought me ' The Selected Essays of Gore Vidal ' and I chose for Larry, Edmund White's ' The Flaneur ' ( we were in Paris ! ). It's a book that expresses how seductive the city is and also what makes me feel sort of distrustful and less comfortable in it. Anyway, it's a real joy to wander into a bookshop and pick out a book for someone you are just getting to know ( I 'd almost forgotten this very old fashioned pleasure ). Here is a classic track that Larry produced with a lovely performance from Madeleine Peyroux. Hope you enjoy, lots of love tt