Sunday 8 February 2009

Elisabeth Leonskaja

Wednesday evening Mark and I went to the Wigmore Hall to hear Elisabeth Leonskaja. Playing Beethoven’s late piano sonatas. One of the most magical concerts I’ve ever heard was Leonskaja’s Schubert recital at the same venue. So I was really looking forward to this. She did not disappoint especially in the last sonata Op.111. I’m uncomfortable writing about music that moves me, it feels intimate and a little silly. When I hear a great performance my feelings are so contradictory: a great stillness and order, but then this super alertness to every change and variation even in the texture of sound and this beautiful fragility because the spell can so easily be broken. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that great music makes us feel everything. Lots of love, Tanita.