Tuesday 4 May 2010

Tony Blackburn - Disc Jockey

This week’s TT Test is taken by a voice that most people of my generation in the UK have grown up with, the ever-popular DJ Tony Blackburn. He began broadcasting in the 1960s on pirate radio station Radio Caroline and was the first DJ heard on Radio 1; currently (and because I’m a bit of an old soul girl!) it is his Soul & Motown show on Radio London, which I look forward to on the weekends. He is known for his very warm voice & manner, rather cheesy jokes and a deserved reputation for being a very nice man! I’m very happy that he has taken the TT Test! What is your wake up song at the moment? Alicia Keys ‘Empire State of Mind’ – it really gets me up and going at 3am for my Weekend Breakfast show. If you could travel back in time, which period would you most like to visit and why? Controversially, I wouldn’t want to travel back – I want to go forward to 2060 because I think it will be fantastic to see all the new technology. So much has happened since I started my career and I know it will get even better. I love eating out and discovering new restaurants, can you please recommend one to me? The Ivy [link]– it’s my favourite and they do a great vegetarian menu. What is the best advice you have ever been given relating to your professional/ creative life? Keep your feet on the ground and remember that you can be replaced. My first agent also told me to accept everything that was offered to me as my career might not last that long – that was 45 years ago and now I’m knackered! BONUS QUESTION: Over your career you must have met many talented performers & seen great live performances, can you tell us a little about the artists who have most impressed you? Diana Ross – she is just a fantastic performer. There are so many great artists out there but she is head and shoulders above them. I got Diana Ross ‘I’m Still Waiting’ to no 1 in the UK and she hasn’t looked back since! (In 1971 it was largely due to Tony’s championing of ‘I’m Still waiting’ originally an album track that it went to no 1 in the UK Charts).