Tuesday 2 February 2010

Lubna Azabal / Actress

This week’s TT test is taken by the very gifted Lubna Azabal, an actress who often portrays people on the edge of society or facing extreme situations. Lubna was born in Brussels to parents of Moroccan origin and trained at the Conservatoire Royal de Bruxelles. Her acting career began in theatre in Belgium where she was soon noticed by the film world winning leading roles with many auteur directors including Tony Gatlif, Denis Villeneuve and Andre Techine. To an English audience she is probably best known for the highly acclaimed BBC drama "Occupation". She brings a rare intensity and truthfulness to her work. I’m very happy she has found the time to answer the TT test ! What is your wake up song at the moment? "Ça m'énerve" Helmut Fritz , because everything upsets me at the moment and especially what has been happening in Haïti. Which work of art or single event has most influenced you in your chosen profession ? My nervous breakdown when I was 21 years old and my passion for traveling!! If you could travel back in time, which period would you most like to visit and why ? To when I was a teenager, just to have the possibility to reset my life and become a great reporter or a dancer or a painter… I love eating out and discovering new restaurants, can you please recommend one to me ? My mother’s place, the best restaurant in the world!!! Otherwise "La Gloria" Lima - Péru (the best food, I've ever had!!!) What is the best advice you ever been given relating to your professional/creative life ? Follow your instinct and go, just do whatever happens, just do it and life will do the rest. BONUS QUESTION : Do you think your ethnic background has led to you being type cast ? For example, I would love to see you in a comedy, you are naturally funny & a great mimic, but I'm sure you are not offered many roles in comedy. Of course! A lot of people don't have imagination, especially in my work (director, casting director, agent...) and it's so easy for them to put people in a box. But it's our work as artists, to change that very old fashion mentality.