Monday 31 August 2009

Ellie Greenwich

Sadly, I've just heard that the legendary Ellie Greenwich has passed away. What an extraordinary talent, not only did she co-write some of the best songs ever including 'Be My Baby', 'River Deep, Mountain High', '(And) Then He kissed Me', 'Chapel of Love', 'Leader of the Pack', 'I can hear music' to name a few, she also helped to define the sound of the girl groups of the 60s, worked with the young Neil Diamond and produced records at a time when it was practically unheard of for a woman to have that role in the studio (unfortunately, I still have difficulty naming a female music producer working today). And as a singer she was no slouch either as the clip I've chosen demonstrates, her voice is lovely and strongly reminiscent of Dusty Springfield. The song is from 1967 'Goodnight, Goodnight'. She will be greatly missed,lots of love tt.